21 Mar How to Get rid of Mold in my Bathroom
- ⭐ Mold Removal Toronto
- When To Call A Professional Mold Removal In Toronto?
- Toronto Mold Removal
At UMC, we’re often called in to remove black mold in the bathroom – it’s one of the most common places that mold grows indoors, but many homeowners don’t understand why or know how they can make simple changes to their home and habits that can help reduce the likelihood it will grow.
There are many types of mold that look black, and not all “black mold” are as toxic as Stachybotrys. In this article, you will know everything about mold removal. Causes of mold growth in home, bathroom, health issues & ways to prevent and remediate all kinds of mold.
The most obvious reason you may need to remove black mold in the bathroom is moisture and humidity. Naturally, because of bathing and showering, the bathroom is a place in your home with lots of opportunity for water and moisture to go where it isn’t welcome and to linger and cause trouble.
If wet surfaces or puddles aren’t dried out quickly, they can lead to mold growth – the same goes for rooms without adequate ventilation, since humid air can travel and settle in places that water usually doesn’t reach.
All this repeated moisture can help create the ideal conditions for mold growth in your bathroom. The main ingredient for mold growth is some sort of water – an organic material and stable temperature give both food and ideal growing conditions. As you can imagine, the bathroom is full of these three necessary ingredients, making it a prime location for mold growth.
Cleanliness is imperative but it doesn’t give you the guarantee that mold won’t grow in your bathroom. It’s obviously because of high humidity. As level of humidity is the only responsible factor for growth of mold in the bathroom so the best way to prevent the growth of mold in the bathroom is by controlling the level of humidity in the bathroom.
It is crucial to prevent the growth of mold at early stages to avoid any health issues and inconvenience and a mold remediation professional can easily do this. Lets talk about indoor mould growth at home and other important aspects of mold removal.
⭐ Mold growth in your home
Knowing where indoor mold likes to grow in a home environment is an important part of any mold remediation process.
If you always feel unwell in a particular room or floor of your home, that may be a good indication of nearby mold growth. But mold has its preferences, and there are a number of common places in your home that it likes to grow.
Mold needs three important ingredients: water, dampness, a stable temperature, and an organic material it can feed and grow on. Those things can be found abundantly in our homes, which means that we find it most frequently growing in:
- Attics – [Also read – What Is The Cost of Attic Mold Removal in Toronto ]
- Around windows and doors
- Near sinks and drains
- Behind appliances like washing machines and fridges
This list doesn’t mean that there isn’t mold growing elsewhere in your home, but it makes for a good starting place when it comes to visual mold inspection in toronto.
Research & Studies – WHO Guidelines for Indoor Air Quality: Dampness and Mould
⭐ Mold health problems
Mold growth can be tricky to spot by the health problems it causes, because they can often resemble the common cold or flu, which makes it difficult to differentiate between the two during the winter months. Common reactions to mold spores include:
- Itchy eyes
- Nasal congestion
If you experience any symptoms like these, paying close attention can help you determine whether or not you may need a mold remediation in Toronto.
Do your symptoms disappear when you leave a particular room? When you go to work do they alleviate, and do they worsen when you return home?
Mold can easily grow out of sight behind walls or behind heavy furniture, making it difficult to see. The symptoms it causes may be the only sign that there’s a problem.
⭐ Causes Of Mold
As mentioned major factor responsible for bathroom mold is the level of humidity which increases to higher degree when you take shower. But is this the only cause? No.
There are many other causes associated as poor ventilation. As while showering the doors are usually closed. This raps all the moisture-laden steam produced because of hot shower. With almost negligible air flow during the shower, moisture attached itself to the celling and floor of the bathroom providing a gateway to mold growth.
- Bathrooms are the wettest areas of the house, except the basement, perhaps. Even if you ventilate the bathroom the dampness penetrates to the sink, showers, even toilets giving way to the mold to grow.
- Another cause of mold growth is, deteriorating caulk. As grout starts cracking, moist air finds its way easily to the cracks, sides and back of the tiles. Using paint as a source of food, and the darkness behind the tiles becomes the new home to moisture earlier and mold later.
⭐ Common Spots For Bathroom Mold Inspection
If you need to remove black mold in the bathroom, there are a couple of places that it frequently occurs, and good reasons why those places are so commonly affected. Black mold often appears because of:
- Blocked bathroom drains: Does your shower or sink drain slowly? Is it constantly clogged or create lingering puddles in the basin? If this sounds like your home, this standing or persistent water might be the reason there is mold growing in your bathroom. If you have a big problem with hair or other things blocking up the drain, there are inexpensive plastic and wire drain catchers that can help prevent things from making it in there. Chemical washes and other products available at home improvement stores can help dissolve detritus already in the drain, but they’re not the best for the environment – cleaning out the P or S trap under your sink can help, or having a professional plumber in to ensure there aren’t bigger problems can also make a big difference.
- Excessive humidity: Do you have a fan in your bathroom? Make sure your fan is on and running when you’re having a shower or a bath – it can have a huge effect on the humidity levels in your bathroom and in your home by sucking that super moist air out before it can condense on surfaces and potentially aid in mold growth. It’s also important to make sure that fan exhausts out of your house and not directly into the attic – and a little yearly maintenance to prevent dust buildup and irritating squeaks will go a long way.
- Dirt and soap scum: Nobody wants a dirty bathroom, but hospital-level cleanliness isn’t always achievable either. Making sure that dirt, dust, and soap scum are regularly cleaned away can also help prevent mold growth, since these three materials can be all the food mold needs to grow. Make sure you pay attention to all the places in your bathroom – give your shower curtain a wash, look to hard-to-reach corners and underneath the sink too.
- Leaks and drips: This is the most frequent reason we are called to remove black mold in the bathroom! A leaky pipe, persistent water drip from the corner of the shower, or sweating toilet reservoir are all ways that leaks and drips may be present in your bathroom. Keep an eye out in these important places to catch any problems early.
The major fact about mold growth is that it can grow anywhere in the bathroom from the sides of tiles to the towels, thanks to high levels of humidity. If you want to know the home of mold in your bathroom, you might want to pay attention to following areas.
These types of moisture issues are commonly found in most homes, and aren’t indications of a bad housekeeper or messy habits – they’re all part of life. But they can be minimized once you’re aware they’re happening.
If you suspect a problem with black mold in your bathroom, you might want to check these common spots that mold grows:
- Caulks and tiles,
- sink, toilet,
- bathroom window,
- ceilings, walls,
- bathroom robes
- The bottom edge of the shower curtain
- Underneath cupboards
- Between the toilet reservoir and the wall
- Along tiles, grout, and shower doors
- In corners and along baseboards
But if you suspect the mold growth in your bathroom or anywhere in your house, seek professionals help for inspecting mould growth in your home, as mold growth is tricky and cannot be spotted easily.
⭐ How To Keep Your Bathroom Mold Free?
Mold resistant bathroom can be created by dealing with the issue of ventilation and controlling the level of humidity in the bathroom. This can be done by using dehumidifiers. It’s also possible if one might find a way to get rid of excess water by evaporators and thoroughly cleaning the bathroom tub and sink. This can also be done by taking proper care of bathtubs, and everything that is involved in the showering process.
The key to protecting your bathroom from mold is to keep everything dry. Paying close attention to the shower curtains, mats and other cloth pieces. It is important to take care of grouts in the bathroom to prevent mold growth. It is important to consult the professionals to create mold resistant bathrooms.
⭐ DIY Mold Removal Approach
Are you considering for professional mold removal in Toronto, if you want to remove black mold in the bathroom, many people’s first thought is to go the DIY route. There are many websites, blogs, and home improvement sites with suggestions, tips, and other information on removing mold with bleach, vinegar, baking soda, household cleaners, and other products. The bad news is they’re nearly all ineffective, can spread or increase your mold problem, and don’t address the root of the situation.
The DIY approach may save you some money initially, but in the long run it leads to bigger problems and increasingly aggressive products to try and get the situation under control. The biggest problem with DIY bathroom mould removal approaches is that it’s frighteningly easy to inadvertently spread the mold to other areas of the room or your home. Reusing sponges is the most obvious problem, but mold is motivated to survive – spores may hitch a ride on your clothes, shoes, bottles, and as you enter and exit the room.
Removing bathroom mold promptly is so important because it causes adverse health effects and can cause serious long and short term harm. Scrubbing away at a moldy spot can release more of the harmful mycotoxins into the air, harming you and anyone else present.
The last reason we never recommend trying to remove mold on your own is that none of the popular DIY removal methods actually work – they’re either too weak to kill the mold, or so toxic they might hurt you or damage your home, while not really harming the mold at all. Bleach is a common household chemical that is more dangerous than most people know – and totally ineffectual at doing more than injuring the surface layer of mold growth.
⭐ How To Identify Mold In Your Home
Knowing what to look for is the first step in identifying mold, if you want to remove mold yourself.
- The first is through a visual identification. While we’ve all had an unfortunate run in with the kind of mold that grows on lunches forgotten in backpacks, household mold can appear very differently. It can resemble a stain or it can be fuzzy; it can be coloured black, white, or green – or even red or blue.
- Household mold can also be found in many different textures, appearing furry or slick. If you can see mold, it may only be the tip of a much larger problem, and you should call a mold removal professional near you immediately.
The other way to identify mold in your home is by the effects it causes.
- Mold allergies can strike even the most resilient of people who’ve never taken a sick day or who suffer no other allergies.
- Mold reproduces by creating airborne spores, and these spores lodge in our respiratory tract, eyes, and nose, and cause cause a great deal of irritation and illness.
When To Call A Professional Mold Removal In Toronto?
Any time you spot mold growth or need to remove black mold in the bathroom, it’s best to have a professional come and assess the problem. Not only will they be able to quickly and efficiently locate the problem (which may be behind walls or baseboards as well as what’s visible), but they’ll be able to offer suggestions to reduce the cause behind the mold growth.
Addressing that root cause is the single most important thing you can do to prevent mold from recurring, and after a safe and thorough mold remediation in Toronto & GTA region, making necessary changes to your home or habits will ensure you never need to call for help.
Also Read – How To Find Best Mold Removal Company in Toronto
How Can We Help?
We offer professional and comprehensive mold removal and mold remediation service that can help you get rid of mold spores that plague your property. With a thorough inspection, our mold removal experts will discover any type of mold that may be located on your walls, cells, floors and determine the extent of the infestation.
We remove mould in your home across southern Ontario, and have been one of the leading mold cleaning companies in the GTA for a decade. This brings with it experienced, confident teams, friendly and knowledgeable service, and, most importantly, a safe and thorough removal.
We’re Canadian owned and operated and have been at the forefront of safe and non-toxic mold removal and remediation for years, pioneering the use of a natural chemical wash that thoroughly removes all traces of mold spores and roots.
- Carrying out a proper mold and mildew inspection requires the right tools and equipment. A simple dust mask is insufficient to combat black mold since under no circumstances should you come into physical contact with it.
- We have a team of specialists with expertise in mold removal who will clean and disinfect the affected area before receiving our seal of approval.
- We have multiple test methods, where we analyze samples and send them to specialized laboratories to obtain effective results and have a better perspective on how to combat fungi.
At The Ultimate Mold Crew Inc. we know it’s difficult to choose a contractor to work with – we’ve heard the horror stories too. There are a number of ways we guarantee our services, and one is by actively participating in membership based organizations that accredit and certify mold removal specialists in toronto .
Our membership in the following organizations mean that we’re always up to date with the latest research and learning about mold remediation, that we have access to specialized training and courses to improve our knowledge and technique, and that we’re committed to providing safe and qualified services to homeowners in need.
The Ultimate Mold Crew Inc., is your premier source for Mold Testing, Mold Remediation, Air Quality Testing Services in Toronto, Mississauga, Brampton. When you need reliable and experienced help after your property in Toronto. Poor Air Quality has been through a disaster, we are here to help.
Call us today at any time of the day or night at 647-985-2739 or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll be glad you did.
We follow the standards and guidelines of the IICRC (Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration Certification), the National Association of Mold Professionals (NAMP), and the IAQA when it comes to mold remediation, as well as being involved with the Ontario Association of Home Inspectors.
These certifications mean that our products and services are certified to independent third party specifications, and is proof of our commitment to professional standards and workmanship.
- Cleaning with a natural substance:
- Safe on Electrical System: This versatile process cleans heavy build-up without damaging sensitive areas like electrical components, switches, wiring, photoelectric sensors, and more.
- A complete and deeper cleaning:
- No harm: Quickly removes most contaminants without damaging switches, panels, lines, tubes, cables or belts, HVAC equipment and is safe to use on electricity.
No downtime: The process is very fast and dry.
The The Ultimate Mold Crew Inc.
|Monday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Tuesday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Wednesday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Thursday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Friday||8:00 AM - 8:00 PM|
|Saturday||9:00 AM - 5:00 PM|
|Sunday||10:00 AM - 2:00 PM|