Updated on 08-Aug-2022
You can’t see mold. You can’t smell it or taste it. But mold is everywhere, and it can be dangerous for your pets. Mold is a common cause of illness in dogs. It can be caused by natural factors like humidity and moisture, but it can also be caused by other factors like poor ventilation or high water content in the air.
A dog’s nose is more sensitive than a human’s and may detect mold more easily than you do. Signs of mold exposure include sneezing, runny eyes, hot spots on the skin, sneezing and coughing in the morning (which can lead to pneumonia), and red or irritated eyes that may be swollen shut.
If you notice any of these symptoms in your pet, take them to the vet immediately for treatment with steroids or antibiotics.
Table of Contents
What Are The Dangers Of Black Mold Exposure In Dogs?
As mentioned below, black mold can lead to a number of health problems, especially if a pet spends a lot of time in the area where the mold is growing. Some of the most commonly reported health effects include: Skin irritation and rashes. Respiratory issues. Asthma attacks. Coughing. Sneezing.
If your pet has been exposed to black mold, you must remove it from the environment immediately. If your pet cannot yet be taken to the veterinarian, call a nearby vet health consultant or a vetenary doctor office today. They can perform emergency services for you so your pet will get the care he needs as soon as possible.
Health Effects of Mold in pets at home
- Kidney failure.
- Damage to the nervous system.
- Rashes, hair loss, and skin irritations.
- Eye and skin irritation.
- Immune system problems.
- Reproductive issues.
- Skin and coat problems, including sores and hair loss.
- Problems with the nervous and reproductive systems.
- Severe fatigue.
- Dermatitis (skin rashes).
- Neurotoxicity (brain and nerve damage).
- Weight- and energy-loss.
How to Identify Black Mold in Pet Food
The black mold in pet food is most commonly found in wet pet food, such as canned cat and dog food. The mold is typically green or brown in color, and has a powdery, dull surface appearance. In other words, it won’t look like mushrooms or anything else typically seen on food products for human consumption.
What should I do if my pets are exposed to black mold?
If you believe your pets have been exposed to black mold, consult with a veterinarian immediately. As a precaution, ensure your pets don’t have access to the mold or the area of exposure.
Symptoms Of Mold Exposure In Dogs
Some dogs may be allergic to certain foods or substances, which can cause them to scratch excessively, leading to fur loss and the development of painful sores. If your dog ingests mold, it can result in a loss of appetite, vomiting, and diarrhea.
Mold can have a serious impact on your dog health, especially if you’re exposed to it over a long period of time. Untreated mold exposure can lead to organ damage, and the complications from that can be severe. Don’t take chances with your pets health – if you suspect mold exposure, get treatment as soon as possible.
Mold’s Favorite Places
As one of the most private rooms in a house, basements are often overlooked – but they shouldn’t be. Basements can be a breeding ground for mold if there is even a small amount of moisture. In fact, a recent survey found that 55% of homeowners and renters have lived in a home with a wet basement. The problem with basements is that they are susceptible to flooding and leaks, which can lead to serious damage.
- Air conditioning (HVAC) system can’t properly circulate the air
- Kitchen, bathrooms, laundry room and other areas that get steamy and humid
- Leaky pipes and drips from condensation that forms on pipes and windows
- Refrigerator Drip Pan
How to Deal With Mold Sickness In Dogs
Your vet may prescribe antibiotics, steroids or other medications, depending on your dog’s condition. If your dog is very ill, he may need to stay at the vet’s office for round-the-clock care. If your dog has been exposed to mold, it is important to remove the mold as soon as possible. Your vet may recommend that you do not take your dog home until the mold has been removed, as continued exposure can worsen his illness. Be sure to ask your vet if it is safe to take your dog home before doing so.
Mold can be a big problem for both dogs and humans. If you want to protect your health and your dog’s health, you need to get rid of mold as soon as possible. Here are some tips on how to do that.
Homeowners have two main choices when it comes to dealing with mold growth in their homes – they can either hire a professional contractor or attempt to clean the mold themselves.
In addition to treating your dog’s symptoms, be sure to check your home for hidden mold and call a professional if you’re unable to manage the clean up on your own.
There are pros and cons to both approaches. Hiring a professional usually costs more money but takes less time and effort on the part of the homeowner.
If you don’t remove all the mold, your dog can still get sick since mold is so harmful to dogs. Your health and the health of other family members will also be at risk if there’s mold in the house.
If you suspect you have hidden mold, or if the moldy area is too large to clean up with vinegar or baking soda, your safest course of action is to call a professional.
If you’re dealing with a mold problem, the first step is to figure out where the moisture is coming from. Once you’ve done that, you can take steps to prevent mold growth in the future. Many mold removal companies in Toronto also offer waterproofing services alongwith mold inspection and testing services to help keep your home dry and mold-free.
Got Mold Questions?
If you suspect that you, a family member, or your pet is suffering from mold exposure, contact us. Ultimate Mold Crew has been serving the residents of GTA since 2011. Call 647-985-2739 for emergency mold detection, inspection and removal in Toronto or contact us via e-mail. 🙂.